Sunday, May 3, 2009

Out at the Wedding - DVD review

I won a copy of "Out at the Wedding" off Tina's site, and it arrived on Friday afternoon. On Saturday night, we had no plans, so my girl and I sat on our recliners, rugged up with our dinner, and watched the DVD. As a huge fan of all films wedding related, and all films gay related, the gay/wedding combination was something I was very keen to see.

We really liked it.

It's slow in parts and feels disjointed from time to time, but for the most part, it was really interesting. What I liked most about it was that it would appeal to a straight audience - in fact, I'm considering sending it to my sisters to watch. It's a cute wedding/relationship/lifestyle type film with a gay bent.

I won't bother with a synopsis, because you can read all that online. All I was say is that the film has topics relating to family relationships, coming out, reactions to coming out, romantic relationship issues. My favourite part was the straight girl trying to fit into the lesbian circles - I remember feeling like that when I first came out. No, I wasn't straight, but I didn't know if I should wear particular clothing etc. It made me laugh when I saw that.

Tina's review said that the acting felt like acting, and I must confess, I felt that way too, but it's enjoyable.

(I review books and films, queer and otherwise - please contact dynamicarticles at yahoo.com)

2 comments:

  1. Sorry it took SOOO long to get to you!! But I'm so glad you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, no worries at all - coming to Australia things take their time anyway. I appreciated the opportunity to win it!

    ReplyDelete